Principles underlying the Code
The SEND Code of Practice describes the principles that should be observed by all professionals working with children and young people who have SEN or disabilities. These include:
- taking into account the view of children, young people and their families.
- enabling children, young people and their parents to participate in decision-making.
- collaborating with partners in education, health and social care to provide support.
- identifying the needs of children and young people.
- making high quality provision to meet the needs of children and young people.
- focusing on inclusive practices and removing barriers to learning.
- helping children and young people to prepare for adulthood.